New York Tax Form IT-201-V - Payment Voucher for E-Filed Income Tax Returns Instructions

Who must use a payment voucher?

If you e-filed a New York State income tax return (on Form IT-150, Form IT-201, or Form IT-203) and you owe tax, you must submit this payment voucher, Form IT-201-V below, if you pay by check or money order. If you authorized the Tax Department to withdraw the payment from your bank account (electronic funds withdrawal) or paid by credit card, you do not have to file Form IT-201-V.

To find out more about your payment options, visit the Tax Department’s Web site at and click on Online Tax Center.

When do I file?

You must pay the amount you owe by April 15, 2009, to avoid interest and penalties.

How do I prepare my payment?

Make your check or money order payable to New York State Income Tax for the full amount you owe and write your social security number and 2008 Income Tax on it.

How do I prepare the payment voucher?

Step1 ....

Enter your name, social security number, and address in the spaces provided; if you filed a joint return, include your spouse’s name and social security number in the spaces provided.

Foreign addresses — Enter the information in the following order: city, province or state, and then country (all in the City, village, or post office box). Follow the country’s practice for entering the postal code. Do not abbreviate the country name.

Step 2....

Enter the amount of your payment in the space provided (enter only whole dollar amounts).

Step 3....

Detach the payment voucher at the line indicated below.

Step 4....

Enclose your check or money order with your voucher. Please do not staple or clip your check to your voucher. Detach any check stubs.

Where do I send my payment and payment voucher?

Send your payment and this payment voucher to:

PO BOX 4124
BINGHAMTON NY 13902-4124

Private delivery services

If you choose, you may use a private delivery service, instead of the U.S. Postal Service, to mail in your return and tax payment. However, if, at a later date, you need to establish the date you filed your return or paid your tax, you cannot use the date recorded by a private delivery service unless you used a delivery service that has been designated by the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury or the Commissioner of Taxation and Finance. (Currently designated delivery services are listed in Publication 55, Designated Private Delivery Services. See Need help? on the back page of these instructions for information on obtaining forms and publications.) If you have used a designated private delivery service and need to establish the date you filed your return, contact that private delivery service for instructions on how to obtain written proof of the date your return was given to the delivery service for delivery. If you use any private delivery service, whether it is a designated service or not, send the forms covered by these instructions to: JPMorgan Chase, NYS Tax Processing – Estimated Tax, 33 Lewis Rd., Binghamton NY 13905-1040.

Privacy notification

The Commissioner of Taxation and Finance may collect and maintain personal information pursuant to the New York State Tax Law, including but not limited to, sections 5-a, 171, 171-a, 287, 308, 429, 475, 505, 697, 1096, 1142, and 1415 of that Law; and may require disclosure of social security numbers pursuant to 42 USC 405(c)(2)(C)(i).

This information will be used to determine and administer tax liabilities and, when authorized by law, for certain tax offset and exchange of tax information programs as well as for any other lawful purpose.

Information concerning quarterly wages paid to employees is provided to certain state agencies for purposes of fraud prevention, support enforcement, evaluation of the effectiveness of certain employment and training programs and other purposes authorized by law.

Failure to provide the required information may subject you to civil or criminal penalties, or both, under the Tax Law.

This information is maintained by the Director of Records Management and Data Entry, NYS Tax Department, W A Harriman Campus, Albany NY 12227; telephone 1 800 225-5829. From areas outside the United States and outside Canada, call (518) 485-6800.