- TAX INFO
- OFFICE LOCATOR
- TAX RESOURCES
- What is the difference between 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ?
- What is a 1099 form?
- Federal income tax brackets
- The ultimate state and federal tax submission faq
- What Are the Top 10 Tax Questions in the US?
- Am I Eligible for the Child Tax Credit?
- Glossary of frequently used tax terms from eSmart Tax
- What is State tax filing and why is it necessary?
Ohio Form IT-40P - Income Tax Payment Voucher Instructions
Several options are available for paying your Ohio income tax. You may pay by any one of the following three methods:
You may use your Discover/NOVUS, VISA, MasterCard or American Express card to pay your income taxes. You may make credit card payments either by visiting tax.ohio.gov and clicking on the “Make a Payment” link or by calling 1-800-2PAY-TAX (1-800-272-9829).
Whether you visit our Web site or pay by telephone, Official Payments Corporation will provide the credit card services. Official Payments Corporation charges a convenience fee equal to 2.5% (or $1, whichever is greater) of the amount of the transaction. Official Payments Corporation will bill your credit card account for this convenience fee. The state of Ohio does not receive any portion of this fee.
When will my payment be posted? Your payment will be effective the date you charge it.
What happens if I change my mind? If you pay your tax liability by credit card and you subsequently reverse the credit card transaction, you may be subject to penalties, interest and other fees imposed by the Ohio Department of Taxation for nonpayment or late payment of your tax liability.
Whom should I call if I have a problem with my credit card payment? Call Official Payments Corporation toll-free at 1-866-621-4109.
How do I use my credit card and my telephone to pay my Ohio income tax? Once you have determined how much you owe (see line 22 on Ohio form IT 1040EZ or line 29 on IT 1040), follow the steps below:
- Complete lines 1 through 10 on this page (optional);
- Use your touch-tone telephone to call toll-free 1-800-2PAY-TAX or 1-800-272-9829. When prompted, enter the Ohio jurisdiction code, 6446.
How do I use my credit card and the Internet to pay my Ohio income tax? Once you have determined how much you owe (see line 22 on Ohio form IT 1040EZ or line 29 on IT 1040), follow the steps below:
- Complete lines 1 through 10 on this page (optional);
- Go to www.officialpayments.com. Select “State Payments” and enter the Ohio jurisdiction code, 6446. Or you may visit our Web site at tax.ohio.gov. Select “Make a Payment” and click on Ohio ePayments.
Note: If you did not previously register to pay electronically through our Web site, click on the “Register Now” link and follow the instructions.
You can eliminate writing a check for your Ohio individual income tax due amount by using the expanded electronic check payment option that is available to all taxpayers. If you choose to make a payment using an electronic check, it is the equivalent of using a debit card to withdraw money directly from your checking or savings account to pay the balance of the tax you owe.
The authorized amount will be withdrawn from your account within 24 hours unless you elect to delay payment. You can delay payment until the payment deadline of April 18, 2011. Regardless of the date you choose, you must make sure that the money is in your account and available at that time.
When paying by electronic check, you must first determine your filing method:
- Ohio TeleFile - Follow the payment instruction prompts that you receive during TeleFile (see page Tel-7, line 12 of the TeleFile worksheet).
- Ohio I-File and eForms - Follow the payment instruction prompts that you receive during Ohio I-File and Ohio eForms.
- IRS e-file - If you are electronically filing your Ohio individual income tax return using an approved software program, follow the payment instruction prompts for making payments by electronic check. If you are using a tax preparer to file your return electronically, the preparer will tell you how to pay using an electronic check.
- Paper Filing - If you are filing by paper (Ohio form IT 1040EZ or IT 1040), you can still use the electronic check payment option. Go to our Web site at tax.ohio. gov and click on the “Make a Payment” link.
You may also use the electronic check payment option to file and pay your quarterly 2011 estimated income tax. Go to our Web site at tax.ohio.gov and click on the “Make a Payment” link. Using this payment method for your quarterly estimated tax eliminates the need to file a paper copy of Ohio form IT 1040ES.
Paper Check or Money Order
If you do not want to use a credit card or electronic check to make your payment, you may send in a personal check or money order with the IT 40P payment voucher below. Please provide the following:
- Print your full name and address on the lines provided and write the first three letters of your last name in the boxes to the right of your name;
- Write your Social Security number(s) in the boxes provided;
- Write the dollar amount of your personal check or money order in the appropriate box;
- Make your personal check or money order payable to Ohio Treasurer of State;
- Write your Social Security number(s) and taxable year on your personal check or money order; AND
- Do not attach your payment to the payment voucher, Ohio form IT 40P. Instead, put them loose in an envelope.
Be sure to follow the mailing instructions on the payment voucher.
Ohio Tax Help Links