New York Form IT-201-V - Payment Voucher for Income Tax Returns Filed Electronically Instructions

Who must use a payment voucher?

If you e-filed a New York State income tax return (on Form IT-201 or Form IT-203) and you owe tax, you must submit this payment voucher, Form IT-201-V below, if you pay by check or money order. If you authorized the Tax Department to withdraw the payment from your bank account (electronic funds withdrawal) or paid by credit card, do not file Form IT-201-V.

Also use Form IT-201-V if you previously filed your income tax return (Form IT-201, Form IT-203, Form IT-201-X, or Form IT-203-X) and want to make a payment for that return.

To find out more about your payment options, visit the Tax Department's Web site (at

When do I file?

You must pay the amount you owe by April 15, 2013, to avoid interest and penalties.

How do I prepare my payment?

Make your check or money order payable to New York State Income Tax for the full amount you owe and write your social security number and 2012 Income Tax on it.

How do I prepare the payment voucher?

Enter your name, social security number (SSN), and address in the spaces provided; if you filed a joint return, include your spouse's name and SSN in the spaces provided. Do not include your spouse's name and SSN if you filed separate returns or if you filed Form IT-203-C.

Foreign addresses - Enter the information in the following order: city, province or state, and then country (all in the City, village, or post office box). Follow the country's practice for entering the postal code. Do not abbreviate the country name.

Enter the amount of your payment in the space provided (enter only whole dollar amounts). Detach the payment voucher at the line indicated below.

Enclose your check or money order with your voucher. Please do not staple or clip your check to your voucher. Detach any check stubs.

Fee for payments returned by banks - The law allows the Tax Department to charge a $50 fee when a check, money order, or electronic payment is returned by a bank for nonpayment. However, if an electronic payment is returned as a result of an error by the bank or the department, the department won't charge the fee. If your payment is returned, we will send a separate bill for $50 for each return or other tax document associated with the returned payment.

Where do I send my payment and payment voucher?

Send your payment and this payment voucher to:

PO BOX 4124
BINGHAMTON NY 13902-4124

Private delivery services

If you choose, you may use a private delivery service, instead of the U.S. Postal Service, to mail in your form and tax payment. However, if, at a later date, you need to establish the date you filed or paid your tax, you cannot use the date recorded by a private delivery service unless you used a delivery service that has been designated by the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury or the Commissioner of Taxation and Finance. (Currently designated delivery services are listed in Publication 55, Designated Private Delivery Services. See Need help? on the back page of these instructions for information on obtaining forms and publications.) If you have used a designated private delivery service and need to establish the date you filed your form, contact that private delivery service for instructions on how to obtain written proof of the date your form was given to the delivery service for delivery. If you use any private delivery service, whether it is a designated service or not, send the forms covered by these instructions to: JPMorgan Chase, NYS Tax Processing - Estimated Tax, 33 Lewis Rd., Binghamton NY 13905-1040.