Tips for Taxpayers Who Receive an IRS Notice
Receiving a notice from the IRS can be confusing. Here are a few things you should know if you ever receive one:
- Keep calm! Many issues have simple solutions.
- Find out what the letter means. If you filed your taxes with eSmart Tax, you can contact our Customer Support department and we can discuss the details of the letter with you. Send an e-mail to email@example.com with your questions.
- Read carefully! Each letter and notice offers specific instructions on what you need to do to satisfy the inquiry.
- Compare notes. If you receive a notice about a correction to your tax return, you should review the correspondence and compare it with the information on your return.
- Agree? If you receive a notice about a correction to your tax return, you should review the correspondence and compare it with the information on your return.
- Disagree? Talk it through with eSmart Tax’s Customer Support and we can help you. We’ll give you the correct instructions so that you can respond directly to the IRS, as requested. Generally, this will involve Contacting the IRS in writing to explain why you disagree and sending copies of any documents and information you wish the IRS to consider. Remember that it may take the IRS 30 days to respond.
- Keep copies! It is always a good idea to keep copies of any related correspondence with your tax records.
If you have any questions, you can contact our Customer Support Department by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.