It's tax season and your desk is probably
piling up with receipts, statements, forms, and miscellaneous mail and
documents as you sift through to find out what you need to bring to your
Liberty Tax Service office for your tax preparation appointment. Below is a checklist of documents to bring
with you when you visit your local Liberty Tax Service office.
Preparing for your Tax Preparer
- ALL wage statements/ W-2s: The word ALL can not
be stressed enough. Many people think that they do not need to report earnings
on W-2 statements if they represent income under a certain amount. This is NOT
true. If you have received a W-2, the IRS will also have information regarding
- 1099 forms: Include all 1099 forms that you receive.
Look for forms that report things like: retirement income, self employment
income, interest income, unemployment income, income from canceled debt, social
security income, state refund income, income from stocks and bonds, etc.
- Information about earnings from jury duty
- Documentation about any scholarships you may
- Documentation showing earnings from rentals.
This includes real estate rentals as well as other types of property rentals.
- Documentation showing any gambling or lottery
winnings or losses.
- Information about any alimony that was received
or paid throughout the year
- Information about the sale or purchase of your
- Records about any taxes paid throughout the
year. Include state taxes, local taxes, estimated taxes, foreign taxes, and
real estate and property taxes.
- Documentation about your expenses including
information about: business expenses, medical and dental expenses, employment
expenses that were not reimbursed, educator expenses, college expenses, moving
expenses, daycare expenses, etc.
- If you have made any energy efficient
improvements to your home, be sure to bring all relevant information.
- If you use your home for business, include
information about the size of your home, the amount of area you use for
business, your home expenses (utility costs, internet costs, mortgage payments,
- If you use your vehicle for business, include
information about mileage, maintenance, and any lease or loan payments.
- Bring information about your daycare provider.
Include their social security number or tax-payer identification number,
- Information about interest you've paid including
student loan interest, mortgage interest, etc.
- Information about charitable contributions
including any mileage
- Social security cards and drivers licenses for
yourself and your dependents
- Birth dates for yourself and all of your
- Last year's tax returns: Include both federal
and state returns.
- Your current address and telephone number
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers if you
are going to use direct deposit or pay any taxes due electronically
- Bring anything other documentation that you
think could have an impact on your taxes.
- Review your tax information from last year to
help you realize if something is missing this year.
Looking for a Liberty Tax Service office near you? Visit our Office Locator to
find the nearest location.