Treat yourself to this food holiday favorite with these
three recipes from the eSmart Tax Recipe Collection.
Cookies Kissed With Blue
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar
until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and
salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with
any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Remove
the cookies from the oven and immediately spread blue sprinkles on top. Cool
completely before eating.
1 cup of sugar
½ cup of butter, softened
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water or milk
1½ teaspoons vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)
½ teaspoon of xantham gum (omit if your all purpose flour
2 cups of gluten free all-purpose flour (I’ve used Better Batter,
King Arthur Flour or Cup4Cup)+ more for rolling/dusting)
- In a large bowl, cream butter & sugar at
- Add egg, water or milk, vanilla, salt, and
cinnamon (optional). Blend until mixed well.
- Add xantham gum and flour. Mix at a low speed
until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface,
about ¼” thick.
- Cut out with selected cookie cutters and place
on baking sheet. Make sure cookies are not touching.
- Reform and roll out scrap dough, then continue
cutting more cookies.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let
cookies cool five minutes on cookie sheet before removing onto a cooling rack.
Cool completely before decorating.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Clean Eating Sugar
1/4 cup Butter,
1/4 cup + 2 tbs Baking
stevia OR 3/4 cup sweetener of choice that measures like sugar 1
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Almond extract
(or an additional 1/2 tsp vanilla extract)
1 cup All purpose
flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
1/4 tsp Baking powder
1/8 tsp Salt
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter, and
sugar substitute with a mixer until fluffy. Add egg, and extracts and beat
until combined. In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
Gradually add dry ingredients to wet, until just combined. (Don’t over work
dough or it will get tough). Wrap dough and place it back in the fridge to
chill for about 30 minutes, or until dough is cold.
- When ready to cut cookies out, preheat the oven
to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, (or foil and spray
with cooking spray). Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and cut
out shapes with cookie cutters. Place on baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes.