- TAX INFO
- OFFICE LOCATOR
- TAX RESOURCES
- What is the difference between 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ?
- What is a 1099 form?
- Federal income tax brackets
- The ultimate state and federal tax submission faq
- What Are the Top 10 Tax Questions in the US?
- Am I Eligible for the Child Tax Credit?
- Glossary of frequently used tax terms from eSmart Tax
- What is State tax filing and why is it necessary?
- Freelancer Guide to Self-Employment Taxes Infographic
- Filing Taxes Late
FAQs about Filing with eSmart Tax
How do I Get Started with eSmart Tax?
- Why e-file?
- What do I need to prepare my return and e-file?
- Will my computer and Internet work with eSmart Tax?
- Is my information secure and private?
- Can I prepare and e-file multiple tax returns from my account?
- I am a tax preparer. Can I use eSmart Tax?
- What happens once I complete and submit my return for e-file?
- How do I find my prior year tax returns?
- How do I amend a return?
Why e-file? (back to top)
- e-Filing your return with eSmart Tax is quick, easy, accurate, convenient, and cost-effective, more so than traditional paper filing.
- You will receive e-mail confirmation when you have completed your e-file and it is accepted by the IRS.
- If you use Direct Deposit to receive your refund, many often get their money back within one week from the date the return is accepted. Please visit the IRS e-file schedule for more details.
What do I need to prepare my return and e-file? (back to top)
- A computer, Internet access and a browser that supports 128-bit SSL encryption.
- Your tax statements, W-2, 1099-MISC, 1099-INT, etc. plus all deductible information, mortgage interest payments, charitable contributions, and expense receipts.
- A printer so you can print your return. If you do not have a printer, you can save a digital copy of your return on your computer and print it later.
Will my computer and Internet work with eSmart Tax? (back to top)
As long as your computer has a stable Internet connection and you use a browser that supports a 128-bit SSL encryption (for secure connections), it should work fine.
Compatible browsers include:
- Internet Explorer 10, 9, or 8
- Firefox 18 and up
- Google Chrome 24.0.1312.57 and up
- Safari 5 and up
For optimal viewing capability, we recommend setting your display resolution to 1366 x768 (if available) or 1024 x 768 and maximizing your browser window.
Is my information secure and private? (back to top)
- IRS regulations require that we use your tax return information for preparing and completing efiled returns only
- We don’t disclose or share your information with any third parties or outside organizations
- We use 128-bit encryption and firewall protection to secure all tax information and communications, and we enforce strict company policies that protect your information at all levels
Can I prepare and e-file multiple tax returns from my account? (back to top)
Yes, you can create multiple returns within your user account. From the My Account screen, click on the Create New Return button to start a new return. All the returns you create will appear in a list on the My Account screen. To choose and proceed with one, click on its Return Actions button. Each return will require you to choose a package (Basic, Deluxe or Premium), which may include fees that will be charged when that return is submitted (filed).
I am a tax preparer. Can I use eSmart Tax? (back to top)
eSmart Tax is not intended for commercial use. As a division of Liberty Tax Service, eSmart Tax may have programs available to help you serve your clients and grow your tax practice. To find out more, please call 1-800-790-3863.
What happens once I complete and submit my return for e-file? (back to top)
- Once you have submitted your return, you can check the efile status in your account to confirm that we have received your submission.
- Once we have received verification that your payment has been approved, we will process and send your return(s) to the IRS/State. This typically happens within 24 hours.
- If your payment method for your tax preparation fees is declined, we will not transmit your return(s) to the IRS or your state tax agency. We will notify you via e-mail so you can return to your eSmart Tax account and resubmit your payment.
- If you submit a free return, we will process and send your return(s) to the IRS/State within 24 hours of your submission.
- When we receive the result of your efile from the IRS/state, we will send an e-mail to you. Be certain to check your e-mail for this notification. If your efile has been rejected, there may be corrections you need to make and then resubmit.
- When we receive the result of your efile from the IRS/state, we will send an e-mail to you within 2-3 days. Be certain to check your e-mail for this notification. If your efile has been rejected, there may be corrections you need to make and then resubmit. We will send an updated notification status from the IRS/State on your corrections within 2-3 days.
How do I find my prior year tax returns? (back to top)
From the My Account screen, click on our return from a previous year. If you cannot access your account, please contact email@example.com.
For a copy of a tax return that you did not file with eSmart Tax, please contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return).
How do I amend a return? (back to top)
eSmart Tax does not currently support filing an amendment to a return. If your tax situation requires you to file an amended return, please visit a Liberty Tax office near you.