FAQs About Checking Your Tax Return Status

Find out how to get updates, correct errors and resubmit your return.

e-File Status:

Revise and Resubmit:

What is my e-file status? How do I know it has been sent? (back to top)

You will receive an e-mail confirmation once your return has been sent to the IRS. Once it has been accepted by the IRS we will send a notification to the email address that you entered when preparing your income tax return.

Alternatively, you can check your efile status by signing into your account.  The status of your return will be listed on the “My Account” page.

How can I prove that I filed my return on time before April 15? (back to top)

Each efile submission has a digital timestamp that clearly identifies the time of submission.  That timestamp is sent to the IRS with your data. Your return must be received by us before midnight the day of the filing deadline. If your return is rejected, you have 5 days to revise, resubmit and have the return accepted. As long as your resubmission meets this 5-day deadline, your return will be considered filed on time.

My e-file status has not changed for over a week. What should I do? (back to top)

Typically, you should receive your efile result within 3 days. If your efile status is over one week old, your return may be under internal review due to a unique situation. For more information about this, please contact Customer Support.

Why haven't I received the e-file result on my state return? (back to top)

With the exception of states that use their own transmission system, state returns are processed after federal returns are accepted.  Your state efile acknowledgement and result may take several more days to reach us. You will typically receive an efile result for your federal return within 3 days but the status of your state return may take a few more days.

My e-file was rejected. What do I do? (back to top)

Check your email! If we are notified of any issues with processing your return, we will send you a notice that asks you to sign in to your eSmart Tax account. Once you are signed in to your eSmart Tax account, we will indicate any errors with processing the return.  Please correct the error(s) and resubmit your return.

What are the most common e-file registration errors? (back to top)

  • Your Self-Select PIN/AGI does not match the IRS's database. You need to enter the exact amount of the AGI of last year's return. If you don't recall what it is, you will need to contact the IRS to verify the exact amount. Please see our FAQs page titled "Signing Your Return" for more information.
  • Last name, birthday and social security number (SSN) do not match for taxpayer, spouse or dependents. If you believe you have entered the correct information, then you will need to contact the IRS to see what they have on file. If their information is incorrect, you can request correction through the Social Security Administration (SSA), then efile. You can also efile using the wrong information, and then request a correction through the SSA after your efile is accepted.
  • Dependent or taxpayer's SSN is already used in another return. For example, a divorced spouse may have claimed a dependent in his/her return already. Although the spouse may or may not be entitled to claim the dependent, your efile will not be accepted. If you still want to claim the dependent, you need to file by paper and let the IRS sort it out.

Do I need to pay again to revise and resubmit? (back to top)
No, it is free to revise and resubmit your return with eSmart.

I made a mistake on the return I submitted. Can I make changes and e-file again? (back to top)

  • Transmitting your return to the IRS is like handing your return to a mail carrier. After you have completed the checkout process and received an order number, you will not be able to make any changes to your return.
  • If the efile is rejected by the IRS/state for any reason, you can then make any changes you want. If it is accepted, you will need to file an amended return (1040X) if you want to make any changes.

I just e-filed my return a few minutes ago. Can I stop it? (back to top)

After you submit your return to the IRS, you will not be able to cancel your return.

My state return was accepted, but my federal return was rejected. It seems I can't change my federal return to resubmit. What happened? (back to top)

In the event of a problem, eSmart Tax will notify you via email of the issue that caused rejection. Sometimes, however, the IRS will not allow efile and if this occurs you can contact the IRS directly at www.irs.gov or by calling 1-800-829-1040 to find out what you need to do to correct the problem with your return. The representative will be able to instruct you as to the issue, how to resolve it, and how to get your tax return corrected and resubmitted.

My return has been accepted, but I found a mistake. Can I revise and resubmit? (back to top)

When this happens, you need to file Form 1040X - Amended U.S. Individual Tax Return. Unfortunately, eSmart Tax does not support amended returns at this time. Please contact the Liberty Tax office nearest to you for help filing an amended return.

I received another W-2 and/or 1099, but I have already submitted my e-file. How can I correct it? (back to top)
If your e-file has been accepted, you need to file an amended return to include the new information. If the e-file is in processing, you will have to wait for the result, then revise, but only if the return is rejected.

What is an amended return 1040X? (back to top)

If you have discovered a mistake on your federal return and it was already accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend it by filing a 1040X. These mistakes may include not reporting some income, claiming deductions or credits you shouldn't have claimed, failing to claim some deductions or credits to which you are entitled, or needing to change your filing status. For more information, visit the IRS's FAQ section or contact a Liberty Tax office nearest to you for help filing an amended return.

Can a 1040X amended return be e-filed? (back to top)

At this time, eSmart Tax does not support electronic filing of an amended tax form, also known as the IRS 1040X form. Please contact the Liberty Tax office nearest to you for help filing an amended return.

Can I amend my returns from previous years? (back to top)

Generally, for a credit or refund, you must file Form 1040X within 3 years (including extensions) after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. Please contact the Liberty Tax office nearest to you for help filing an amended return for a prior year.