- TAX INFO
- OFFICE LOCATOR
- TAX RESOURCES
- What is the difference between 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ?
- What is a 1099 form?
- Federal income tax brackets
- The ultimate state and federal tax submission faq
- What Are the Top 10 Tax Questions in the US?
- Am I Eligible for the Child Tax Credit?
- Glossary of frequently used tax terms from eSmart Tax
- What is State tax filing and why is it necessary?
- Freelancer Guide to Self-Employment Taxes Infographic
- Filing Taxes Late
What is the difference between the 1040, 1040a and the 1040ez forms?
Your questions answered by eSmart Tax Professionals
Tax season can be an incredibly confusing time.There always seem to be new laws and regulations to look out for while filing taxes, and these come with different forms and paperwork to fill out. Even the primarily document, the 1040, has three different formats: the standard 1040, the 1040A and the 1040EZ. If you are new to filing your tax return on your own, or you just are curious as to what the difference is between the three documents, it is worth wild to see exactly what the difference is between these three documents and what document you should use when filing your tax return.
All three of these forms are used for individual federal income tax returns. Any individual is able to use the standard 1040 return, but not every filer is able to use the other two. This is because the 1040A and the 1040EZ are designed specifically for individuals who fall under set guidelines and rules. Due to this, if you are ever in doubt, always go with the standard 1040. While you might have to fill out other documents and forms, this is a form that everyone who is filing a tax return on their own is able to use.