Federal Form 1040-V Instructions
What Is Form 1040-V
It is a statement you send with your check or money order for any balance due on the "Amount you owe" line of your 2014 Form 1040, Form 1040A, or Form 1040EZ.
TIP. You can also pay your taxes online or by phone either by a direct transfer from your bank account or by credit or debit card. Paying online or by phone is convenient and secure and helps make sure we get your payments on time. For more information, go to www.irs.gov/e-pay.
How To Fill In Form 1040-V
Line 1. Enter your social security number (SSN). If you are filing a joint return, enter the SSN shown first on your return.
Line 2. If you are filing a joint return, enter the SSN shown second on your return.
Line 3. Enter the amount you are paying by check or money order.
Line 4. Enter your name(s) and address exactly as shown on your return. Please print clearly.
How To Prepare Your Payment
- Make your check or money order payable to "United States Treasury." Do not send cash.
- Make sure your name and address appear on your check or money order.
- Enter your daytime phone number and your SSN on your check or money order. If you are filing a joint return, enter the SSN shown first on your return. Also enter "2014 Form 1040," "2014 Form 1040A," or "2014 Form 1040EZ," whichever is appropriate.
- To help us process your payment, enter the amount on the right side of your check like this: $ XXX.XX. Do not use dashes or lines (for example, do not enter "$ XXX - " or "$ XXX xx/100").
How To Send In Your 2014 Tax Return, Payment, and Form 1040-V
- Detach Form 1040-V along the dotted line.
- Do not staple or otherwise attach your payment or Form 1040-V to your return or to each other. Instead, just put them loose in the envelope.
- Mail your 2014 tax return, payment, and Form 1040-V to the address shown on the back that applies to you.