With flexible options built right into our platform, eSmart Tax makes it easy to pay for your federal tax liability.  Below are your options: 

  • Direct Debit: If you electronically file your return, you can have the IRS automatically withdraw your federal income tax owed from a bank account located in the United States.
  • Check: You can mail a check or money order made out to the "United States Treasury" with your payment voucher (Form 1040-V) to the IRS by the tax filing deadline. Be sure to write your name, address, social security number and tax year on your check or money order. The payment voucher can be printed once you have successfully submitted your return (do not mail a copy of your tax return if you electronically filed your return).
  • Credit Card: If you electronically file your return, you can use your credit card to pay your taxes owed. To pay federal income with a credit card, please visit www.officialpayments.com (additional fees will be charged).
  • Installment Payments: If you can't pay the full amount you owe on your tax return (or on a notice sent by the IRS), you can use the Installment Agreement Request (Form 9465) to request a monthly installment plan. Generally, you can have up to 60 months to pay. Form 9465 is available during the checkout process. Before requesting an installment agreement, you should consider other less costly alternatives, such as getting a bank loan or using available credit on a credit card. The IRS charges a $105 fee to set-up an installment agreement and interest on the principal balance owed. The IRS will generally let you know within 30 days after they receive your request whether it is approved or denied. If you can pay the full amount you owe within 120 days, call 800-829-1040 to establish a request to pay in full. If you can do this, you can avoid paying the $105 fee to set-up an installment agreement.