Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ About Status of Tax Returns

Find out how to get updates, correct errors and resubmit your return.

My e-file was rejected. What do I do?

Check your email! If we are notified of any issues with processing your return, we will send you a notice that asks you to sign in to your eSmart Tax account. Once you are signed in to your eSmart Tax account, we will indicate any errors with processing the return. Please correct the error(s) and resubmit your return.

What are the most common e-file registration errors?

  • Your Self-Select PIN/AGI does not match the IRS's database. You need to enter the exact amount of the AGI of last year's return. If you don't recall what it is, you will need to contact the IRS to verify the exact amount. Please see our FAQs page titled "Signing Your Return" for more information.
  • Last name, birthday and social security number (SSN) do not match for taxpayer, spouse or dependents. If you believe you have entered the correct information, then you will need to contact the IRS to see what they have on file. If their information is incorrect, you can request correction through the Social Security Administration (SSA), then efile. You can also efile using the wrong information, and then request a correction through the SSA after your efile is accepted.
  • Dependent or taxpayer's SSN is already used in another return. For example, a divorced spouse may have claimed a dependent in his/her return already. Although the spouse may or may not be entitled to claim the dependent, your efile will not be accepted. If you still want to claim the dependent, you need to file by paper and let the IRS sort it out.

Do I need to pay again to revise and resubmit?

No, it is free to revise and resubmit your return with eSmart.

I made a mistake on the return I submitted. Can I make changes and e-file again?

Transmitting your return to the IRS is like handing your return to a mail carrier. After you have completed the checkout process and received an order number, you will not be able to make any changes to your return.

If the efile is rejected by the IRS/state for any reason, you can then make any changes you want. If it is accepted, you will need to file an amended return (1040X) if you want to make any changes.

I just e-filed my return a few minutes ago. Can I stop it?

After you submit your return to the IRS, you will not be able to cancel your return.